Thursday, November 13, 2008

Seattle Seeks to Ban Public Nudity: 20 Years to Late

The Seattle Times is reporting that the city of Seattle is considering making public nudity a criminal trespass offense. " Here is a message from Seattle Parks and Recreation to all you nature lovers: Cover up those rear ends or face a possible criminal-trespass prosecution.
The proposed rule will have a public hearing Jan. 8, and parks commissioners will make a recommendation to Parks Superintendent Tim Gallagher two weeks later."

That means for those who enjoy participating in naked bicycle rides, volleyball games in the park, or skinny dipping at one of the city beaches, better bring along a pair of shorts and a shirt, or the term 'buck-naked' will have a more costly meaning.

For me this proposed rule comes 22 years too late. You see on a beautiful spring day back when I was in high school we went up to Volunteer park to play baseball for our gym class. I took my regular position in left field, and the batter smacked a ball well over my head and it rolled into some bushes. When I climbed through the bushes to retrieve the ball, I was met by a man, naked, playing the flute for another man, also naked.

Needless to say, that's a vision that I could have done without, and has lingered in the back of my mind for more than 2 decades.

While this proposed law comes too late for me, I guess this is a case of better late than never.

No comments: